Monday, October 31, 2011

WEATHER

Each year around this time I notice the same thing without fail.  Even though the morning temperatures are in the 40s and the afternoon temps are no where near "hot" there are always a handful of people wearing shorts, short sleeves, and flip-flops.  This year is no different.

Maybe it's because I've been spending a lot of time at the library lately and I welcome a quick break to think about life's finer things but I've spent a great deal of time thinking about this.  Call it being "thesis minded" (or brain washed) but, all of a sudden, everything I say or think I feel needs to have some research behind it or have a clarifying statement attached to it.  I'm sure this is very annoying to all those who have had to interact with me lately (my poor wife must get the brunt of it since I talk to her the most <---more clarifying statements) and hopefully this new habit doesn't stick around when I'm done with said thesis.  OK, enough chit-chat. Here is the scientific way I've researched this "summer attire in different seasons".

I've always ran hot...if I had a gauge on my forehead like cars have on their dashboard, my needle would undoubtedly be dangerously close to the red.  People would constantly be asking me if I was about to overheat.  Now, taking this into consideration, I thought about all of the other people who have temperatures close to mine.  Of all the people I know, which is a lot, I could only think of 2 other people who are constantly warm.

Then, I asked myself, would Mr. X or Mr. Y (names changed to protect the subjects) be wearing shorts and flip-flops?  Then I would ask myself, "Would I be wearing shorts and flip-flops?"  I then would look down at my outfit and realize, "No.  I am not wearing shorts and flip-flops" therefore Mr. X and Mr. Y are most likely not wearing them either. 

Once the outfit was determined of the control subjects, I asked myself "what is the likelihood these strangers have a higher, or at the very least, the same internal thermostat setting as the subjects?"  The conclusion was it is highly unlikely for these strangers to run hotter than myself or Mr. X and Y based on the pure number of people I know and the number of people who have the same temperature as I.   Therefore, I have concluded these people wear shorts for a reason other than to attempt to regulate their body temperature...most likely because they want the opportunity to say, "It's not cold out here at all."  Really, then why are you shivering and hugging yourself?  Put some long pants on already, it's almost November.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment