Thursday, September 15, 2011

NEW THOUGHTS

Just the other day I was reading an article about lifting weights and gaining muscle strength and size.  This article (I read it the ol' fashioned way, in an actual magazine...when I find it online I'll post it) seems to be saying that a standard weight lifting strategy may not be as good as everyone once thought. 

If you read the article, then you would know the tactic I'm talking about is trying to squeeze out 3 sets of 10.  If the right weights are used, this seems like a good workout.  Apparently people focus too much on the reps and sacrifice adding weight in order to achieve the 10 count.

Well, for some reason, this article struck a cord with me and I have changed my lifting strategy.  (Note: I was not doing the ol' 3x10 anyway, but it made me think of what I was doing).  Since Monday I've started doing 4 or 5 exercises for one muscle group.  As the article recommends, I am focusing on finding the weight I can do 3-5 times as fast as possible with good form.  Let me tell you this, I'm sore.  Really, really, it hurts to watch TV sore.  I love it.  Another added bonus, I've also noticed my heart-rate has dramatically increased practically the whole time that I'm lifting. 

I'm going to give it a shot for the next 7 weeks.  I'll report back every once and a while.  When the first shirt has it's sleeves ripped because of my bigger and better arms, you'll be the first to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment