Wednesday, September 28, 2011

IS LOWER BETTER?

As the topic of expectations was being chatted about around the ol' water cooler the other day I heard some interesting schools of thought...

On one side you've got the notion that having high expectations is best.  Some would argue that greatness can only occur by having such lofty expectations.  What about the flip side?  What about the frustration and anger and disappointment you might feel when these almost unattainable expectations aren't met?  Is it worth it?

The other side of the coin houses low expectations.  If you have lowered your expectations you reduce the frustration/anger/disappointment factor because you don't expect much anyway.  There isn't really all that much to get upset about.  Almost like any positive is just icing on the cake.

Part of me wants to lower my expectations...but I just can't seem to do it.  I'm too much the optimist...expecting the best out of myself and others.  Sure, I get frustrated and stressed on a regular basis but I just can't seem to keep the expectations at a lowered yet reasonable level.

So, I've decided for the month of October I'm going to lower my expectations, of both myself and others.  It is kinda odd to make a goal of like this...it's almost like saying, "I'm going to see if I can NOT clean my house for a month".  Seems easy enough but time will tell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment