Monday, July 18, 2011

BOTTOMS UP

Until very recently, this past Saturday to be exact, I used to live by the motto, "Don't let tomorrow's responsibilities slow down today's party".  This was not some clever saying I said to look tough, many life events, some very important (my engagement, my wedding, too many of my buddies' weddings to count, the start of family vacations, etc.)  occurred with a headache pushed into hiding thanks to nothing but a few Excedrin and pure grit, a grit only a young man can have...Well internet friends, I'M OLD.  This was a horrific discovery.  I've known this day was coming, and have caught glimpses of Old Man Time every once and a while, but until recently, have done a decent job of escaping his grip.  Before I'd see a hangover as a necessary evil, making it easy to deal with, now I only see it as evil. 

I'm changing up my tactic.  Sure, I'll still party hard for special occasions, and most likely a few times for no occasion at all...but any change takes time.  I thought that I was going to fear this, but in all honesty, I don't mind too much.  Two Saturdays ago I was up at 5 a.m., had the yard mowed, went on a 7-mile run, cleaned the dishes, and did some random yard work, all by 11 a.m.  I'm to the point where I'd rather do that than sleep till 9 and lay around for a few hours.  Getting old is weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment