Thursday, September 1, 2016

HAPPY SOUL, HEART, AND MIND

This past weekend I was fortunate enough spend my time doing what I loved. I was able to head into the high country, spend time with people I enjoy, and mountain bike.

This got me thinking...what if you could do what you loved all the time.

Would you love it less because it was so accessible? Probably not. I don't love my wife more when I don't see her for a few days. I enjoy hanging out with her all the time, I don't need to do it infrequently to really enjoy it.

So why don't I do more things that I love more frequently? Because changing the priorities of someone's life is hard. Especially when you're life directly impacts another's.

I suppose it's all part of the life you decide to live. I could sell my truck, downsize houses, give up a lot of material possessions and spend nearly all my time doing what I truly love. The choice is mine. Why is it so hard to let go of the status quo? Because change is scary. And hard.

Congrats to those who've incorporated their passions into their livelihood. I'm not talking about extreme cases like professional athletes, either. I'm talking about the guy who loves woodworking and decides to quit his job and give it a go. Or the person who loves baking and opens a bakery. I have so much respect for those people, the ones who've decided to go all in and create a life where they can do what they love and make a living at it.

I'm not going to quit my job and spend all my time doing only the things that bring me joy. That wouldn't make sense at the moment.

What I am going to do is make it a priority to spend as much of my non-working time doing the things that I love. If that means sneaking in a small ride in after work, working out, doing something cool with my wife, or hanging out with friends then I'm going to do my best to make it happen.

As you were.


No comments:

Post a Comment