Monday, September 12, 2016

KEEPIN' PROMISES



This weekend I kept good on a promise I had made to myself.

Maybe it's the approaching (happening at lightning speed, by the way) due date for Little Dude, maybe it's the fact that I've recently been trying to find joy in the small things, or maybe it's that I realize there is more to life than working and checking items off the ol' to-do list. Whatever the cause, I've recently made the conscious decision to spend as much time as possible doing things that bring me joy.

I believe life is too short to spend my time any other way.

I'm happy to report this weekend I did just that. As an added bonus, some of the things that needed to be done also happened to bring me joy. A double win.

  • Hung out with some buddies on Friday evening. As usual, good times were hand and many laughs shared. But this time, we had a built a baby crib by the end of the evening for Little Dude. (At press time, the crib was still standing.)
  • Mountain biked on Saturday with a buddy. The ride was a little rough due to the previous evening, but I managed...and I lost my hang-over somewhere on the trail. The best part of it all was the parking lot hang afterwards.
  • Got some more baby stuff checked off the list by heading to (what I can only assume will become a frequent stop) Babies-R-Us.
  • Picked up my new rifle and was able to sneak away to the range for a bit. Being more of a shotgun guy, sighting in a rifle is new to me. While it's definitely not great, it's a start. I'll be heading to the range again this week to finish the job. There could be worse things.
  • Put the finishing touches on the storage room in our basement. After a week of scrubbing the floor and walls, the paint and sealant have been applied. I'm also happy to report the air has been circulating much better thanks to the exhaust fan I installed last weekend. This room is really shaping up and will help the basement become livable.
  • Spent some awesome quality time with the wifey.
  • Headed to a movie. It was OK. We had to sit in the front row and the theater was hot. But the movie was pretty OK so it worked out just fine. Plus, heading to a movie on a whim most likely won't be happening that frequently after November, so I enjoyed the freedom of it all as well.
  • Saw O.A.R. at Red Rocks. The show, weather, and energy were perfect. So was the opening band, The Hunts. If you haven't heard of them, check 'em. They will be big in no time. 
At the end of it all, I could have worked harder to check a few more things off the ol' to-do list. But, what's the point? There will always be things that "need" to be done...that list will never be 100% complete. But who cares? Life should be more than just checking off the needs...gotta check off some wants, too.

As you were. 

No comments:

Post a Comment