Sunday, April 27, 2014

UPDATE

So far my training has been going well.  Don't get me wrong, there is still a lot of room for improvement but I'm very happy overall.  Luckily, I've gotten to the point where I know I can finish, no matter how slow or ugly.

Here are the longest distances I've done so far vs. the race distance:
Biking: 35 miles vs. 56
Swimming: 1 mile vs. 1.2
Running: 5 vs. 13.1

I'm happy that I've already completed over half the required distance for both the swimming and biking...now to work on the running.    

Swimming:
Although I have already swam nearly the entire required distance, I want to shift my focus from completing the distance to completing the distance via the freestyle.  Up until this point, the majority of distance covered was thanks to the breast stroke.  That will be May's goal.  Hopefully, by the time of the event, I will be able to swim 2 miles at a comfortable pace.  Knowing I can swim this distance will help ease the swimming anxiety.

Biking:
I've learned a thing or two over the past few months.  I'm still working on figuring out what to eat on my ride and have been playing around with a few options.  My goal for May is to bike 70 continuous miles and master the clipless pedals.

Running:
I need to step up the running, but I have purposely been paying more attention to the other two events up until this point.  My logic: I'm a runner.  I know I can run the distance so I didn't need to spend the first (almost) 2 months of training proving it to myself.  May I will focus more energy on running.  My goal is to have ran 10 miles without stopping by the end of the month.  I'm also starting to entertain the idea that my (hopefully soon to be purchased) camel pack will be suitable for running.   More to come on this topic later.

My last goal for May is to be even more conscious of my eating.  I've lost some weight since the beginning of training (which is a nice extra, but not the overall reason for registering for the tri).  It still amazes me how training and exercising is night and day different depending on diet of that day and the day prior.

Hopefully this upcoming month will see even more healthy days than April.

I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment