Sunday, June 19, 2016

GENIUS IDEA: WORTH THE READ



My old pair of boots have had enough. The interior lining is shot, the insoles were removed years ago, and they're now about as comfortable as concrete. And even though "waterproof" is stamped into the leather they keep my feet as dry as flip flops. 

So, after my wife (repeatedly) suggested that I pitch them and get a new pair, I've started thinking about the possibilities of getting some new boots. 

If you know me, you know I do an absurd amount of internet research. Even for things that I have no intention of buying. For example, a few years back my father-in-law was in the market for a new grill. 

I had zero intention of getting a new grill (not to mention no money) but I took to the interwebs. After hours and hours of searching, I found the exact grill that I would purchase, assuming I was in the market. That summer I immersed myself in grills, and by the end of it all, I was a self-proclaimed expert. Wasted time? For sure. Fun? Marginally. Time sucking? 100%. I can't help it, it's how my brain is wired. 

So, back to the boots. I've been researching boots a lot lately. And as with any on-line research, I have a system. 
Step 1: Look for a style and look that I like
Step 2: Dive into the reviews. And I'm not talking about looking at the first couple. Nope, I'm talking about a deep dive...page 5 and beyond. 
Step 3. Determine if reviews are trust-worthy.  All 5 and all 1 stars are dismissed. I figure those are either interns for the company slinging the product in question or the flip-side. The interns of competitors trashing the product. 

I find the best reviews are 3-4 star with enough information to know that the person has actually used to product. 

Example of a review I wouldn't believe: 
These boots are warm. 

Example of a review I would believe: 
"They are warm until about 30 degrees if you're working, but if you're sitting still in a deer stand your feet will be cold".  Or, "These are only waterproof if you don't step out of your boat too far from shore. Once water comes in over the top of 'em your feet are going to get soaked."  

So, this got me thinking. Why can't I virtually try on shoes? I can do almost everything else through my computer, why not this? 

I'm calling it the virtual shoe and here's how it would work. I'm imagining a boot similar to those you get when you have a broken foot. It has a USB cord and attaches to your computer. You then select the type of shoe you're looking at. Then, the footbed contours to the exact specifications of the shoe you're looking at. BAM! You're trying on the exact shoe you're looking at on-line.  

How would it know all of these specs? Well, I'm glad you asked. The shoe manufactures would provide this information to the software company that sells the virtual shoe. So, it would be constantly updated with the newest styles. Then, you could try the footwear on in your living room and order with confidence. 

Seriously, can someone please get on this? 



No comments:

Post a Comment