Monday, March 7, 2016

WIND BACK IN THE OL' SAILS

Cheesy? Borderline.
Original? Not even a tiny bit.
"Borrowed" picture? You bet.
Accurate? 100%

This past weekend was everything that my soul needed.  After working more hours than I care to think about for longer than I can remember, I took this weekend off (gasp!) to recharge my batteries.

I've said it before, and I'm sure I'll say it again after today, but I believe I was a mountain-man hippy in a past life.

When life gets too crazy and hectic one of the first things my mind and body crave is time outside...ideally spent on a bike. The other thing it needs is to hang out with like-minded people who have great energy. This weekend definitely scratched that itch.

Friday J and I went on an after-work ride to take advantage of the longer days and warmer weather. We worked up quite an appetite on the ride and decided to check out a new-to-us restaurant. The food and drinks were great and the atmosphere was nice--even if it was a bit "surbany" for us. (But as I was reminded, it's to be expected...we did move to the 'burbs.)

Saturday started by getting a haircut and hanging out at the barbershop to pick up on some of the good vibes and energy that are always present at the shop.

Then we spent the afternoon at Red Rocks running the steps.  Exhausted, humbled, inspired and full of positivity we headed home.

Sunday the weather was perfect and I headed out for a short mountain bike ride.

The ride was amazing (even if it pointed out that I need some serious conditioning to be able to climb like I should) and left me feeling proud and re-charged.

During the ride I came up with three goals for this summer.. (if I end up in a cast, you may have a pretty good guess as to why...)
Become a mountain goat
I want to be able to climb with the best of them. I have a long way to go, but at least I know where I want to be.

Use my breaks less
While I wouldn't consider myself "break happy", I could definitely cut back a bit

Jump more obstacles than not 
I used to jump everything as a kid. I want to get back to that point.

Weekends like this remind me how important perspective is...how it's important to take care of yourself and allow yourself the opportunity to recharge by doing the things you love with the people you love. Not only is this 100% necessary for yourself, but it also allows you to perform your job at a higher level.

No comments:

Post a Comment