Wednesday, September 10, 2014

HOLY HOT


A yoga studio near our house offers a seven-day-free-pass to non-members as a promotion tactic.  On a whim I decided I wanted to see what hot yoga was all about.

So, last night I attended my first ever hot yoga session (this was only my second time yoging...is that even what it's called?)  Holy cow it was hot, which, shouldn't be a surprise since the name paints a pretty clear picture of what to expect.

Let me say that walking into a yoga studio solo and as a beginner is somewhat intimidating.  The lobby was full of people in great shape who looked like they stepped out of a yoga catalog.  Everyone knew the system and executed flawlessly...check in here, put your shoes there, bring a towel, do this, don't do that.

I'm not going to say I stuck out like a sore thumb, but...I showed up in my standard t-shirt, mesh shorts, and running shoes (something tells me this outfit wouldn't be found any any respectable yoga catalog).  I didn't know the system and blindly stumbled through the check in process.  But, I kept reminding myself that everyone has had a first day and was a newbie at some point.

The actual studio was really cool.  There were candles burning, the lights were off, and hypnotic music filled the air...as did the heat and humidity.  It didn't take too many bends and stretches to get the sweat dripping--flowing might be more accurate.  Before I knew it I was soaked.  In a weird way it felt really good to get all hot and sweaty (this was hard for me to type-I hate being hot) but it was a different kind of feeling than you'd get after running or working. The instructor had a positive and mellow vibe and helped guide everyone through the stretches and poses while offering words of encouragement and asking thought provoking questions.   

Overall I really enjoyed the experience and think I'll go back again (within the next 6 days of my free trial, of course).






No comments:

Post a Comment