Wednesday, March 5, 2014

NEW EXPERIENCES

Last year my bro-in-law told me about a TED talk he listed to where the speaker tried 1 new thing each month for an entire year.  I really liked the idea then and I really like the idea now.   Last year was full of new experiences...moved to a new state, started a new job, met some new friends, went hiking in the Rockies, and tons of other firsts.  But...I was terrible about blogging about them.

It dawned on me that I was doing another awful job of sharing this year's new experiences too.  So, here is a quick update.

January
Learned to ski.  Well, the basics anyway.  Although I've taken some tumbles (and banged up my ribs a bit) I'm happy to say that I'm still enjoying the sport.  My goal is to go at least once a weekend until the slopes close on April 15.  Each time I go (knock on wood) I seem to be improving.  I'm not where I want to be yet, but I think I'm on the right track.  Fingers crossed for no major injuries.

February
For the past 2 years one of my resolutions has to been to break out of my style comfort zone.  Early in the month I got a new hair cut (I figured after a decade of the same style it might be time for a change) and bought a few new clothes.  Nothing crazy drastic, just some options that can take the place of my standard hoodie.  So far I'm happy with the decision.

March
Since I was in grade school I have always wanted to compete (and by that I mean just finish) a 1/2 ironman triathlon.  March 1 marked the start of my training program.  I've ran a marathon, 1/2 marathon, and competed in a tri before, but never have I paired the training with an overall healthy lifestyle.  So this month I'm trying to pull out all the stops and use a holistic approach to the training--healthy eating, sound mind, and strict training.  Hopefully by the end of the month these will all be habits and will continue throughout the year.

Now I think you're pretty up-to-date on this year's new experiences. 
Lucky you.

No comments:

Post a Comment