Monday, January 13, 2014

SKI LESSON...

Since we made the move to Colorado I've been wanting to learn to ski.  My wife skis, nearly all of my friends ski, and it seems like a ton of fun.  So, for the past couple months I've been piecing together all the necessary equipment...the majority of it acquired through the generosity of friends. 


Saturday was the day.  With my borrowed gear and my beginner lesson purchased I set off.  The instructor was great and pretty soon we were on the beginner hill learning to turn and stop.  I was feeling pretty confident at this point and was doing relatively well (for a newbie).


As the day progressed so did the size of the hills.  I continued to do well and only had a few wipe-outs.  Actually, I'd say I had a few spills and only 2 wipe-outs...but they were major.  Or at least by my logic they were major...judging from the spot where the fall started and where I ended up and by the number of times I couldn't tell which way was up during the tumble.  But no fear, I was able to move all my parts and ski after each wipeout, so I'll chalk that up as a victory, regardless of how small.    For the most part, the worst part of the fall was getting up after...simply because having skis on your feet make normal movements very difficult.


Overall I was very please with how I did.  By no means am I ready to venture outside of the green runs, but I know what to expect for next time.  And, I didn't end the day swearing off skiing forever.  In fact, I'm really excited to go back next weekend.



No comments:

Post a Comment