Wednesday, November 20, 2013

TASK CHECKED OFF BUCKET LIST

Since our last adventure was a distant memory J and I decided last weekend would be the perfect time to grab our packs and head out in search of something noteworthy.  Not only did we find it, but we also managed to check an item off our bucket list. 

The task you ask...hike up the Incline in Manitou Springs.

A few years ago during our first visit to Colorado we saw the incline on our way up Pike's Peak and knew it was only a matter of time until we hiked it.  In fact, we were so drawn to it that it instantly was put on the bucket list.  The sheer fact that it gains nearly 2,000 feet in elevation in under a mile was impressive and daunting all at once and almost dared us to give it a try. 

Calling the Incline a "bunch of steps" is like calling the Mona Lisa "another painting."  There are areas of the incline so steep you can't see the ground when you look down and when you look up you can't see the top, just false summits.  I was going to count the steps but got side tracked after about four...but there are tons of 'em.

This adventure couldn't have come at a better time.  Although my legs were sore and I was tired I felt alive.  All of the thoughts and stressors that had been on my mind seemed to ease and vanish with each step.  Somewhere between the top of the mountain and the bottom I had come up with a plan of attack to conquer all of the things that had been stressing me out...and I was excited to get started. 

It always amazes me how pushing myself physically and being in nature can make everything seem so right.  By the time we reached the parking lot I felt like a new man.

After all, isn't that what checking things off the bucket list is all about?

No comments:

Post a Comment