Tuesday, August 27, 2013

NUMBERS

I would like to know the percentage of high school students who go to college verses the students who attend trade school, join the military, or immediately join the work force.  I would then like to know the same number in 20-30 years.

My bet would be the number of students who attended college right after high school will drop in the future.  Not because education is losing its importance, but based on the experiences of my generation.  Think about it.  Everyone knows quite a few college graduates who have a pile of debt and low paying jobs which don't require a degree.  Not because these people are stoners who play video games all day but because the job market is so lean.

On paper college should be the answer.  Most of our grandparents had manual labor jobs.  They saw education as a way to advance their kid from the field or factory to the office--many times meaning a better life.  So, it goes to figure our parents had the same thought-process.  If the wheels didn't fall off our economy this might still hold true.  But it doesn't.

It could be argued that attending a trade school might be a better option than going to college.  I know when/if I have kids, I'm going to strongly suggest they give that route as much consideration as college.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see what the numbers say.

No comments:

Post a Comment